• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Reducing Lagg & Maximize Performance

Reducing Lagg

Im just posting this because i do not the best high speed internet, download speeds are just above 300kb/s but im also running Windows 10 via wifi. heres what i did to reduce lagg and so far seems to be just fine, before i had tonns of lag just fighting NPCs.

open settings>privacy>background apps

on the left hand side scroll to the bottom and turn off any apps that send and/or receive data or only ones you wish to leave on or off

Another thing turn off proxy server under settings>network/internet> proxy from left side and turning "auto detect settings off"

and also turning off LAN proxy via internet options ( Cortana is the search feature built in to windows 10 )
press & hold Windows Logo on keyboard & press S than type Internet options click connections tab and LAN at bottom turn off lan auto detect.

Turn off "update offline maps" think it only applys to windows 10 but i could be wrong
right click windows logo goto settings select apps & select offline maps from the left hand & on the right hand side turn off "automatically update maps" as this will update everyonce in awhile and most likely while your ingame

Also running windows update before opening the game will pervert windows update from just up and running most of the time while ingame/server

Another Thing is any torrent program running even if closed i found will affect download speeds for some reason or another, because i used Qtorrent to download FL and it was installed and i got lag but once uninstalled it was greatly reduced.

Also i turned on and disabled some of these router settings as i use a Wireless router ( As i have a mini laptop with no hardline port )

I turned on Internet QoS, QoS upstream which can limit your upload/stream, Which i had to limit mine to 50 kbps, but this doesnt always work and recently turned it off as it will hold bandwidth hostage.

These below are windows based settings!

Also try disabling your netbios by going to the connection settings by right click start logo > settings > network/internet > change adapter options > right click on the connection you use & click on properties > click on ipv4/tcp > click on properties again > Advanced > click on wins tab & at bottom it will say disable netbios. click okay on everything to save settings

I also turned off IpV6 the same way as not many Ip address use ip6 at the moment & freelancer is ip4 based & iv noticed a lower more stable ping in Battlefield & Freelancer

Also changing your DNS in your wireless/hardline router & in windows under network sharing might reduce lagg, as in my case i was given googles DNS of 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 which was causing problems. by going to the connection settings by right click start logo > settings > network/internet > change adapter options > right click on the connection you use & click on properties > click on ipv4/tcp > click on properties again > at the bottom you will need to change to "use these DNS settings" i used 64.6.64.6 and alternate 64.6.65.6

Also turning on ECN " Explicit Congestion Notification " in some case's helps reduce over head or build up of network problems. i found it to work with it on and seems to have reduced some lag problems. it can be turned on by opening CMD " command prompt & typing netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

also turning off windows auto tunneling, also to me seems to made my connection alot more stable. it can be turned off also by opening command prompt & typing netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Also from time to time clearing DNS cache resolver can help, more so if you do it just before you start to play a game, it can be cleared by opening command prompt & typing ipconfig /flushdns
not there has to be a space after ipconfig

Maximize Performance

And if your running with limited hardware that slows the game down, you can try the below

Turn off superfetch via services by holding windows key & pressing s & type services and scroll look for superfetch double click and stop service and click drop box and select disable

This one only applys to users with Windows 10, turning off all the live tiles ( the new start menu ) will reduce minor cpu usage and should give afew extra FPS ( frame per second )

you can also give CPU Priority to a program by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc & right clicking on the Exe that your running than click on Priority than click highest or high. on windows 10 you will have to click details on the very far right of the tabs to get to your local exes running. added upon @"Sand_Spider" post & reminder

Pvtstandalone & i found a way to stop Battlefield 2 from always redoing the shaders & messing up the ingame grapichs, by going to your BF2 folder in documents and making everything in profile read only, i also made all the files in cache folder read only, this is totaly stopped BF2 from redoing the shaders. this might also work with BF2142 aswell

Hopefully this isnt just a wastefull post and helps someone out.

Last edited:
A clean computer is a happy computer. Make sure you have temporary files cleaned and make sure your virus, malware free. Two free programs that work well

CCleaner
Install the CCleaner. Run it then click run cleaner on the lower right. On the left is registry. Click it, then click scan for issues. Once complete click fix selected issues. It'll want to backup the registry let it. If a problem arises you can always restore it.
The registry cleaner section should be approached cautiously. It should only be ran when you experience error issues that can't seem resolved any other way. I take no responsibility for the use. I can only suggest again, let it backup the registry.

Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is free. Just make sure to uncheck activate 30 day trial on install. If you don't it isn't free after the 30 days. You can make it free again by going into it's settings. Click detection and protection on the left. Put checks in disable malware protection and malicious website protection. These are active protection settings only available in the paid for edition. Let it scan and remove anything it finds.

Use System File Checker
Open command prompt as administrator. Type in sfc /scannow then hit enter on keyboard. (note: sfc {spacebar] /scannow)

Optimize Internet Connection

SG TCP Optimizer
It's a free program for Windows. It will optimize your internet connection parameters within Windows, to provide faster internet experience in general. The tool uses advanced algorithms to find the best TCP Window for your specific connection speed. The TCP Optimizer is targeted towards broadband internet connections, however it can be helpful with tuning any internet connection type.
This tool is extremely useful and there are many users who actually use it to improve their internet connection. With help of this tool you may boost ping pretty easy. It has no install either. Run it, set your providers advertised speed (what your paying for) Make sure the correct network adapter is chosen. Then put a dot in optimal towards the bottom. Apply changes and reboot. It has many manual settings, don't touch them without knowledge of them.

The program can aid both the novice and the advanced user in tweaking related TCP/IP parameters in Windows, making it easy to tune your system to the type of Internet connection used. The tool uses advanced algorithms, and the bandwidth*delay product to find the best TCP Window for your specific connection speed. It provides for easy tuning of all related TCP/IP parameters, such as MTU, RWIN, and even advanced ones like QoS and ToS/Diffserv prioritization. The program works with all current versions of Windows, and includes additional tools, such as testing average latency over multiple hosts, and finding the largest possible packet size (MTU).
The TCP Optimizer is targeted towards broadband internet connections, however it can be helpful with tuning any internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ :) It is completely free, requires no installation, and has been downloaded over 3 Million times.

If you need help with the program, check the TCP Optimization Documentation read our broadband tweaking articles, the Optimizer FAQ, and/or visit our Forums. The program can be freely (re)distributed, as long as you give us proper credit as the author, and it is not sold for profit.

Here is some additional Vista Win7 and maybe win 8/10 tweaks you can do manually.

Windows 7, Vista, 2008 Tweaks
Many tweaks listed SG TCP optimizer has already done, but some others may help.

Boost Ping With DNS
This technique is a very good way to decrease ping. In some cases, using different DNS servers for your connection, might reduce your ping drastically.For example, I have used Aion on US servers. And during this period my ping was averaged around 400ms. After changing my DNS servers to Google Public DNS, my ping never was 180ms at maximum.
All you need to do is to go to your network connection properties and change DNS servers to public DNS. I recommend these providers

Public DNS

Google Public DNS Most preferred

Open DNS

After changing DNS it is recommended to restart your computer to ensure they will load and run properly on your computer. By using these servers you will likely experience lower game ping on some servers.

Close Bandwidth Intensive Programs
Every internet connection has bandwidth limitations. When you use close to your maximum bandwidth cap from your ISP your network latency will drop significantly. In order to decrease ping you need to close all bandwidth intensive programs such as:

BitTorrent client, such as uTorrent;
VoIP and IM programs, such as Skype, Messenger, TeamSpeak;
Close your browser and pause downloads;
Programs with background downloads like Steam.

All these programs may reduce latency of your connection and increase game ping. Close such programs to improve ping and reduce lags in online games.

Reset Your Router/Internet Provider Modem
It may seem trivial, but sometimes resetting a router and modem can solve issues. Just unplug their power source for 30 seconds and plug them back in. This is especially true if your using wireless capability.

Don't play wirelessly
Wireless in itself can cause over 150ms ping, just going to your router. Wired connections to the router are 0-1ms.
If you can't possibly use a wired connection. Head into the power settings and turn it to high performance and keep it plugged in (laptop). High performance on charge, uses full abilities of wireless and tends to not hibernate as frequently.

Anti Virus Firewall
Disabling these only while gaming is suggested. They search/watch information inbound and outbound. This can strain your CPU and cause ping spiking as well. When your gaming, you would normally not need an anti virus or firewall. Don't forget to enable them again when done playing.

Sound Setting In Game
Another problem that can cause lag is the sound settings in the game itself. If you have software chosen, try hardware or visa-versa. Try low, medium and high settings.

Modify TCPAckFrequency

Leatrix Latency Fixer

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency. You will see reduced latency in many online games including World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars, Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and more

Unpark CPU's

This doesn't help ping lag, but can help with graphics lag (fps).

If you are an owner of a new multicore Intel/AMD CPU, for example Intel core I7, and Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 OS, you already might notice that some of the cores in your resource monitor are marked as parked. This is a new feature of windows 7/2008 operating system that is made to balance energy consumption by your CPU. So let’s say if you are performing some tasks that do not consume a lot of CPU power, all the cores that are parked will remain in that state. However, if you are running something that requires a lot of CPU power, all the cores, which were previously parked, will be placed in the active state (unparked) to perform the task. And after it’s done, they will be parked again.

All in all, this is a nice feature to save the energy. But if you decide to keep all of your cores active at all times, there is no way to disable CPU parking from the user interface or by running command prompt.

Disable CPU Core Parking Utility
This doesn't install either. Just run it, if it shows parked cores, click unpark. You can run it again, to put them back in park later, if you want.

Awesome Thread :)

I use TCPView https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview to close connections not wanted
I use Gamebooster http://www.pcgameboost.com/ to turn on/off process&services (can also be done by a batchfile, but Im too lazy)

Too much ram and/or slow hdd: copy "battlefield 2" folder into a ramdisk and run bf2.exe or server from there

Best Thread on the internet about pc optimization
http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/...ios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware